"I AM AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE OPTIMIST.
THE HOPER OF FAR FLUNG HOPES, THE DREAMER OF IMPROBABLE DREAMS."

Sunday 8 October 2017

The Name Change!....

        I am unique. I am different. I am special. I have an identity. I have a name.
        Yes, we all have a name which makes us unique, different and special! Our names play an important role in developing an identity of one's self. Here in my country, each one of us is addressed mostly with our first name rather than surname.
         I myself wish and try to address someone with his/ her name in the correct pronunciation. I believe that they themselves will wish to be known so. The sole reason for this is the incorrect pronunciation of my name!...Tears....
         Luckily, I live n Kerala where majority of the people have some pronunciation problems....I beleve so!!...
                                                                       ***********
         My parents have named me 'RAKHI'. I love my name. But, unfortunately I live in a society where they address me as 'RAGI' or 'RAGHI' or 'RAKI'....mostly..!
         I strongly believe that this situation is not  gonna change. But, what about my identity?...My name plays a major part in it. Initially this difference in notation evoked tears to roll down my cheeks, then hatred and lately frustration!
         But, what is the seen outside Kerala?..Different...or good.
        India, the country which proudly ushers about the Unity in Diversity, has 29 states and 7 union territories. Including my state, I am familiar with 6 states or the citizens of these states. If they can pronounce my name correctly, why not Kerala?...Not everyone, but the truth is majority!
        I am sure that there are so many like me facing the same problem. Will the situation change?...I doubt...
                                                                       ************
        My little one will have to face the same problem...Apologies to her!..How foolish was I to name her 'Samyakha'. The same 'KHA'  problem persists!....

No comments:

Post a Comment