"I AM AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE OPTIMIST.
THE HOPER OF FAR FLUNG HOPES, THE DREAMER OF IMPROBABLE DREAMS."

Friday 14 September 2018

The Talc Affair....

          It was a usual day at work. Suddenly I got a whiff of a scent..that mellow fragrance.....the scent which holds vivid memories....'Yardley'!...the centuries old talcum powder. It still didn't change a bit...that same passionate smell!
          My earliest memory of that merchandise goes to my 'P Amma'(let us call her so for the time being), my Amma's Aunt. She resided along with her husband beside our house. Their house was more of mine, rather than a neighbour. Then, when I was a shy and reserved child, P Amma always came to my rescue being my playmate. There were days when I used to play even the game 'Catch the Ball' with the lady in her late sixties!
         'Yardley' was her constant companion. Everyday after bath her wrinkled face was adorned in the white talc.It's application was too unconcealed that it often made us laugh looking at her. The powder, the red bindi and the oiled tresses, these three attributes made her looks distinct and genuine. Her age beguiling looks were really an asset.
        This 'Yardley' in a similar manner is very much associated to Amma. Like her Aunt, Amma is also very much in companionship with this product unlike myself who uses it only when I get those bizarre stares from her which often means "No talc?!"...Dear concealer....u never win!
        Perhaps in Kerala I believe there are many such Ammas and P Ammas who have a fervent relationship with this after shower product. Though 'Yardley' is prevalent among the best sellers, there are many other talcum powder brands which are still reigning in the market to enhance the beauty of the women generations of yesterday, today and tomorrow. Period.
        Some things inherited are so. Even if we feel like discarding we keep them close to our heart and continue to use them. At times it helps in cherishing the good old memories of some beautiful people and relishing their presence even in their absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment