"I AM AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE OPTIMIST.
THE HOPER OF FAR FLUNG HOPES, THE DREAMER OF IMPROBABLE DREAMS."

Friday 26 October 2018

#Metoo....

         When the social media is preponderating with #metoo, let me reveal mine. My first...even before adolescence, when I hardly knew that there are sexual perverts pervasive in this society....
         It was during my 6th grade summer vacations. Due to my keen interest in sketching and painting, my parents enrolled me in an art class for a period of two months. They were very insistent that I ought to travel alone by a bus to get there. Though initially reluctant, finally I agreed. It was advised that this was the first step towards being strong and independent. Myself, very shy and reserved, had lot of inhibitions back then....The scenario is different today. Period.
         With lot of anxiety, I started my daily rides alone. Though hesitant, I enjoyed it as days passed by....
         Finally the day arrived. The bus was packed. There was no room for an apple to fall. The short and stout me was sandwiched among the co-passengers. Suddenly I realized that an elderly man has placed his hands on my body. That moment!!....I neither could cry nor scream. I only felt an uneasiness because I didn't understand it's extent at that split second....Good Lord!...After alighting from the bus, this man walked beside me with his hands on my shoulder and later walked away. I was literally dumbstruck! Who the hell was he?...a stranger or someone familiar was the only thought in my mind. As usual I attended the class with a disturbed mind...
         Back home, after returning I cried my hearts out. I narrated everything happened to them and warned them not to publicize the incident even to our well wishers. The only feeling I had then was a sense of shame and awkwardness!....
                                                                          **********
       Years passed. Today, I have come through many such situations....some retorted;some silent. They have all made me robust and impregnable.
                                                                          **********
       Though there are many hash tags with 'me too' movement engulfing the media, Women are we safe tomorrow?...including my toddler daughter!!



No comments:

Post a Comment